Thursday, May 8, 2014

Law of Social Validation


The Law of Social Validation is stated in the book as “recognizes and builds on our innate desire to be part of the group or part of the majority and that we tend to change our perceptions, opinions, and behaviors in ways that are consistent with group norms.” In my own words, it is changing our outcome on different situations based on group actions and perceptions. This law is effective many times and can be seen whenever an individual enters a group setting.

My first example can be seen at many sporting events, specifically baseball games. When I typically go to baseball games, I go in with the feeling of relaxing and with my type of personality, I don’t engage much into the game atmosphere. If people begin to all of a sudden do the wave and when it approaches me, I change my perception and try fitting in with the crowd by doing the wave as well.

My next example is social validation at work. Just recently, I went on a date with Madison to the Cheesecake Factory and upon arrival, there were many open sections to sit within the inside of the restaurant. When taken to our area to eat, we went past the inside section and we sat in a booth outside the restaurant next to a window. Sitting near the window, people will be able to look through the window at what we are doing and get a feel for what the atmosphere is like in the restaurant and they may stop in.

My last example is social validation and marketing which I may use time and time when helping pick our tuxedo styles. At work, some clients may not know what is “in” as far as clothing for prom or what sorts of looks are appropriate for weddings. By using social proof and telling clients what typically normal people have looked like or what sort of tuxedos are a hot trend is enough to get them to listen to me. With social validation, clients don’t need physical proof. “Perceiving that a product is popular is often all consumers need to go out and purchase it.”

Today, I will continue to be effected by this law whenever I go to a sporting event with people. Chances are that when someone cheers about something, myself and others will join together because it is the group norm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment