Thursday, May 8, 2014

Law of Contrast


The Law of Contrast as stated within the book is explained when persuaders “explain how we are affected when we are introduced to two different alternatives or options in succession.” In my own words, it is when we are faced with different scenarios, how people react and are affected by those different situations. Throughout life, I have used the ability of contrast many times when dealing in a work setting and have also been a victim of contrast when I am shopping. Overall, the law of contrast can be located in various situations and it can be an effective tool when persuading others. Throughout the semester, I will continue to use this law more in the work setting. When working with clients and I am discussing something, I will downplay things a tad until they see the final price for their product which I hope will bring satisfaction to them.

My first example of contrast is seen in school but specifically my Consumer Economics/Personal Finance class. Everyday coming into class, I have the mindset that class will be boring and I always come in with a bad mood because the class is typically boring to sit through. However, as class begins, my professor may start class off by saying class will be short today (about 30 minutes). By stating class will be shorter, it changes my reaction of class and gets me excited and I tend to pay attention more in class.

When going shopping for different foods such as packaged chip bags, I always try to make sure what I buy is worth the purchase. When buying a large package bag for a good price, I always feel great and think I got a good buy. However, when I go home and open the bag of chips, there is a lot of empty air space. Having lots of empty air space changes my mood from happy to angry because previously I had thought I made a good purchase of buying a full bag rather than now about a half a bag. Many times companies will put their products in big packaging but the product quantity doesn’t match the packaging.

My last example is when I am at work, I will usually list a price of a packaged tuxedo a little bit higher than the initial cost. Once I have helped the client pick out their tuxedo outfit, and have entered the information into the computer and enter in any coupons, the final price will usually come out less than the initial quote I gave them from before. When hearing the news that the cost is lower than what I had initially told them, this gives the client the idea that they are getting a better deal and they will be excited to pay less money.

Today, I tend to use the law of contrast when shopping. When shopping, I will typically look at an item of two different brand and contrast the positives and negatives of each in order to make my final decision of purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment