Monday, February 24, 2014

Law of Involvement

The Law of Involvement

The Law of Involvement states from the book that “the more you engage someone’s five senses, involve them mentally and physically, and create the right atmosphere from persuasion, the more effective and persuasive you’ll be.” In my own words, the law means that when people see, smell, touch, taste, and/or hear something multiple times in the right environment, they are more persuaded to that object. Throughout my life, I have been persuaded this way many times because when something hits my five senses many times, I may eventually want to try it. The main times I am persuaded this way is when I am looking for something to eat and advertising for food companies will capture one or more of my five senses and drag me in. Personally, this method of persuasion is effective to me and positive for companies because many people like me send our business towards them.

In the mall, many food court restaurants will use the law of involvement to draw customers into buying their food over others. When shopping and taking a break for lunch, many restaurants within the food court will give hopeful customers free samples of their products. By giving customers a free sample, they may either like it or not which will decide if the restaurant will get business or not. Personally, Chinese restaurants at the mall always have had free samples when I am shopping which has brought my business to them. Another example that happens in the mall is stores accessorizing in a way that captures customer’s attention and brings them near the store. From past experience, I have walked by the store “Express” and they always play popular upbeat music which strikes my five senses (hearing)  and creates the right atmosphere which draws me closer to the happy music till I’m eventually in the store looking at their merchandise.

My last example of this law is when I am working at Men’s Warehouse, the use participation between employee and customer can help persuade customers to lean more towards one product than another. When I am helping a couple book a wedding, there are many different tuxedo options they can choose from but by getting the male customer involved and trying on tuxedo options, it can help really decide which is the more comfortable tux to go with. Also, by physically putting different color vest with tuxedos, it helps couples get a better picture of what the final product would look like rather than staring at a picture. The involvement of increasing participation, creating the right atmosphere, maintain attention, art of questioning, telling stories, and engaging the five senses in the law of involvement will more than likely work for the right person but there can be incidents where the customer may fight the urge and refuse temptation and persuasion. In the  present and future of my life, I will continue to use this law when working at Men's Warehouse because it helps customers and really does persuade customers from choosing one tux over another.

No comments:

Post a Comment