Friday, April 11, 2014

Law of Balance


The Law of Balance is stated within the text that logic and emotions must be blended and balanced. Emotions will trigger action, whereas logic will justify the agreement. The proper fusion of emotion and logic will speak to both the conscious and subconscious parts of the mind and increase your ability to persuade. In my own words, the law of balance is mixing together both logical and emotional thinking when trying to figure out a particular situation. In my life, I have used this law to persuade others but mostly, I am a sucker and I tend to spend money when I really shouldn’t.

After a long day of school and then going to work right after, I get exhausted and hungry. By the time I get back to school, the café and the union are always closed so getting food from the school is not an option. Knowing I have some food back in my room which would be the logical and the economical choice, I will at times think emotionally and decide to go to a fast food drive through because I may not have the desire to cook something up for myself and it is a quicker alternative to satisfy my hunger. After work and driving home, I pass many restaurants that make me think emotionally rather than the right choice of being logical and economic.

Within the law of balance, testimony is a component in it and it can be seen during many commercials. A testimony can be a quote, an interview, or an endorsement from credible person. In the new McDonalds commercial starring LeBron James of the Miami Heat, they explain how the best of the best are in this particular room and they all get to eat this new sandwich because they are the best. From there, they explain McDonalds has everything for everyone and LeBron states about the new sandwich, “they should serve this to everyone.” Using a famous and well known character, it makes the advertisement more appealing and that anyone can eat this sandwich because we are all considered the best and worthy of it since LeBron James says it’s okay.

My last example is the use of statistics within the law of balance. The one example that sticks out in my head when I think of statistics is gum and the statistics written on their packaging. On their packaging, they usually have the words something like, “4 out of 5 dentists recommend chewing after eating.” By showing this on their product, I always feel comfortable chewing their gum and know it is healthy and will be good for my teeth.

Currently in my life, I have continued to showcase this law mostly when I am at work. When dealing with prom kids, many parents and kids will ask, "how many kids do you see looking this way" or "what is the percentage of kids picking this particular style." Being asked those questions, I respond with the law of balance and may say something like, "8 out of 10 kids may pick this tuxedo because it has been popular as of late."

No comments:

Post a Comment