Friday, April 11, 2014

Law of Association


The Law of Association is defined as the mental triggers and anchors that will generate the right feelings, emotions, and thoughts to create a persuasive environment. In my own words, it is being persuaded in some way that sparks us in a personal matter. Throughout my life, I have tried using this law to get people to go with me to certain places and when trying to achieve this, I will try to trigger them mentally with positive memories. When I use this law on people it either comes out positive or negative depending on what the past memory meant to that particular person I am persuading. Besides me trying to persuade people with this law, I myself have been on the targeting side by being persuaded by people and them trying to trigger my past memories.

Throughout the world, this persuasive trick has been used in many mall stores and one in particular that uses this law is Express. When shopping around in the mall, Express likes to play upbeat popular music which does a great job drawing people into their stores. In the “Maximum Influence” book by Kurt W. Mortensen, it is said that “shoppers who are exposed to music shop 18 percent longer and make 17 percent more purchases than shoppers in stores not playing music.” In addition, because the store plays music with a higher tempo, customers are more happier and animated when shopping. By using music, I believe it has made Express successful and I do know that whenever I shop, there are always people within their stores.

Advertising and marketing do a good job with the law of association and throughout many alcoholic beverage commercials, association is used. Recently during the past Super Bowl, there was a commercial for Bud Light that took one average guy off the street and put him through a bunch of amazing events and throughout all the events he went to, Bud Light was present. Within the advertisement, the goal they were trying to address to the audience is drink Bud Light and maybe events like the one you just saw may happen. Even though the audience knows that it is just an advertisement, they hope that by association it may arouse the audience and have the images stick in our minds and possible trigger future purchases. This commercial was definitely successful and one of the most talked about commercials of the Super Bowl. I believe that because of their advertisement and marketing for it, gross revenue will increase.

My last example is when I am in my room and Madison wants me to go out with her but I am not feeling up to it, see tries using the law of association to get me out. When she wants me to go out with her to a particular party and I am not feeling up for it, she will try saying that after we go out; we will stop at Oakland Gyros for food. When see states food at Oakland Gyros, it immediately triggers my memories of it and every night I go out and we get food at Oakland Gyros, I always have fun. When Madison uses this tactic on me, it more than likely turns out successful for her and we both end up having a good night with one another.
 

Throughout life thus far, I have continued to be affected by this law by commercials and what my peers say around me. I have seen advertisements of particular products or stores have appealed to me and I have visited them because of curiosity in association

No comments:

Post a Comment