The Law of
Expectations is stated within the book that it “uses expectations to
influence reality and create results.” In my own words, it is creating
expectations to potentially alter the way the original thought of our reality
would be and to create results from it. Throughout my life, my use of the law
of expectation has been evident in the workplace but mostly occurs within a
school setting.
When at work and working with a gentleman on picking out a
tuxedo style for him for his wedding day is a big deal. When deciding on a
tuxedo, how it looks, cost, and how it feels are the biggest factors to look
at. In my job, I try to eliminate the mindset of cost of the tuxedo and have
them more focused on how they feel and look. When I try a tuxedo on a customer
I will ask, “you’re going to love the way this tuxedo looks when you’re
standing next to your bride.” By using presuppositions, I act as though that
they had already purchased the tuxedo, get them away from a sales mindset, and
put an image in their head of them standing next to their bride.
My next example is time expectations within the law of
expectations. In many classes but specifically Intercultural and Group
Communication were I was both assigned within the first few weeks of classes a
course project, time expectations was evident. Because the deadline for both of
those class projects was a semester length of time, my urgency to work and
complete them were very low and it took me till the last few weeks of school to
finally start working on them. If throughout the semester there were checkpoints
were I had to present so much information to the professor, my expectations and
urgency to work on the projects would be much higher.
My last example is a placebo experiment that was conducted
with Dove. A psychologist asked patients how they felt about themselves and
their confidence with how they looked. All of them replied they wish they were
prettier and if they were, they would have much more confidence to try and
conquer new things. After sharing their stories, the psychologist gave everyone
a product by Dove which was a patch that would go on their arms and would
eventually make them look and feel prettier. Coming back to meet with the
psychologist, they all said they felt prettier and had more confidence. With
that being said, the psychologist told all the patients that the patch they
were wearing was nothing special and it was just an ordinary patch. The
confidence that the patients felt was within them the whole time but being told
before what the patch would do, the patients felt that the patch actually did
something.
Currently in my life, I have continued to showcased this law after I was told what the law was. Being asked about living arrangements for next year, I blew it off for awhile and left there was no expectation to get it done. With the deadline now for next year approaching, there is a great deal of concern and I am moving 100 miles a minute to figure everything out so that I don't afford to live in the dorms again.
No comments:
Post a Comment